FCPS respects students’ right to express themselves in the way they dress. It is important, however, that their appearance is tasteful and appropriate for a K-12 school setting. Discussion about dress code violations shall be held privately and maintain the dignity of the student.
Clothing and accessories should not:
- Display vulgar, discriminatory, or obscene language or images
- Promote illegal or violent conduct
- Contain threats or gang symbols
- Promote the unlawful use of weapons, alcohol, tobacco, drugs, or drug paraphernalia
- Expose private parts or show an excessive amount of bare skin (see-through clothing)
- Contain studs or chain belts
- Include hats or other head coverings unless worn for significant religious, cultural, or medical purpose
- School administration may reach out to a student’s family if clarification is needed regarding the purpose of a head covering.