Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.Hive Happenings Newsletter
Dear Stenwood Families,
Thanks to all of you who joined us for our AAP Information Session this morning. If you were unable to attend, the recording and slide deck is included below.
This week we had our first Positivity Project character strength, Curiosity. Next week’s focus will be Teamwork. For those who are new to Stenwood, we are embarking on our 4th year of Positivity Project. There are 24 different character strengths that we will focus on. Each of the character strengths help us grow in the Other People Mindset where we focus on how our actions impact others. Each week in the Hive Happenings we will highlight the character strength that is coming up for the next week and highlight some questions that would be great for a dinner or car ride conversation.
We have some bittersweet news to share with you today. Mr. Randall Clement, who is our Local Screening Chair and kindergarten special education teacher, has accepted a position as a Procedural Support Liaison and his last day will be Friday, September 24th. He has been a much loved staff member of Stenwood in the last two years. Students that directly work with Mr. Clement will be receiving a letter about the transition.
Here are some additional items included in today’s newsletter:
- FCPS is Hiring - Monitors, Subs, Bus Drivers *NEW*
- Daily Symptom Check *REMINDER*
- Outdoor Lunch Option *REMINDER*
- Mask Reminders *REMINDER*
- SR&R Acknowledgement *DUE NOW*
- Activating Your SIS ParentVUE Account
- Positivity Project: Teamwork
- Stenwood Classroom and PTA Form
- Advanced Academics Parent Meeting - Level IV Information Session
- Tech Resource: Stenwood Stingers YouTube Channel!
- School Meals and Free/Reduced Lunch Applications
- Stuff the Bus: October 9
Have a wonderful weekend.
Erica Riley, Principal
Meredith Mitchell, Assistant Principal
Employment opportunity in Fairfax County Public Schools
FCPS schools and centers is hiring classroom monitors to provide in-person additional supervision to students both in the classroom and at lunch. If you would like more information about the position, please review the job description and qualifications if interested. Please feel free to share information about this opportunity with anyone else you think may be interested. Click here to apply.
FPCS is seeking individuals to serve as substitute teachers!
Are you or somebody you know interested in substitute teaching with FCPS? Visit our substitute information page here. Say Yes 2 FCPS!
FCPS is also still hiring bus drivers!
Visit the Bus Driver information page for more information.Daily Symptom Check
Parents are asked to screen their children every morning before sending them to school. If you have any questions about whether your child is able to come to school based on symptoms or exposure, please call the office.
- Feeling feverish and/or having chills – documented temperature of 100.4°F or higher?
- Has there been any use of fever reducing medication within the last 24 hours?
- A new cough that is not due to another health condition?
- Nasal congestion or runny nose?
- New shortness of breath or difficulty breathing that is not due to another health condition?
- New chills that are not due to another health condition?
- A new sore throat that is not due to another health condition?
- New muscle aches that are not due to another health condition, or that may have been caused by a specific activity (such as physical exercise)?
- Fatigue (more tired than usual)?
- A new loss of taste or smell?
- Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting?
- New onset of poor appetite or poor feeding?
- Have you had a positive test for the virus that causes COVID-19 disease within the past 10 days?
- Were you currently tested for COVID-19 because you were sick and are still waiting for the lab results?
- In the past 14 days, have you had close contact (within about 6 feet for 15 minutes or more) with someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19?
Persons who have been fully vaccinated and are identified as a close contact to a COVID case do NOT need to quarantine if they meet the following criteria:
- Fully vaccinated
- ≥14 days since last dose
You can view and print a hard copy of this screening at this link: https://www.fcps.edu/sites/default/files/media/forms/HealthScreeningQuestionnaire.pdfOutdoor Lunch Option
Thanks to Mrs. Kannler and our parent volunteers, we are able to offer lunch outside for K-5 outdoors every day of the week!!! Our 6th graders are able to eat outdoors each day except for Thursdays. Kindergarten is practicing eating outdoors one class at a time, and we will hopefully be ready for the full grade level very soon.
If you are interested in your child being outside (weather permitting), please send your child in with a towel in a cinch sack backpack so that they can easily carry their towel out to recess and through the lunch line. Make sure to clearly label your child’s items with their name.
Students will be exiting the cafeteria through the side cafeteria door and placed in a sectioned off area outside designated for their grade level. The parent volunteers and one staff member will be outside to ensure they stay in the sectioned off area. Students will need to remain outside for the duration of the lunch block and will need to remain seated on their towel. At the end of lunch students will be lined up by grade level and return inside to the cafeteria to be picked up by their homeroom teacher. If for some reason a child drops or spill their lunch during the transition outside, they will be able to return to the lunch line to retrieve a new meal.
Please make sure you talk to your child about the expectations of this eating option. Should your child be unable to follow these expectations, they will need to return to the cafeteria.Mask Reminders
Please make sure you check the fit of your child’s mask, especially around your child’s nose. If your child’s mask is not fitting tightly around their nose, please look for another mask that fits them more appropriately. Here is FCPS guidance on masks:
- Approved types of masks:
- Disposable masks, cloth mask coverings, gaiters, clear masks and cloth masks with clear plastic panel
- All face coverings/masks must meet the following requirements:
- Face coverings/masks that fit properly (snugly around the nose and chin with no large gaps around the sides of the face)
- Face covering/mask with two (2) or more layers of non-woven material
- Face coverings/Masks that are not recommended:
- Face coverings/masks that do not fit properly (large gaps, too loose or too tight)
- Face coverings/masks or gaiters with one layer
- Face coverings/masks with exhalation valves or vents
If your child is wearing a mask that does not fit well, they may be offered an alternative mask from a staff member.SR&R Acknowledgement Due
Student Rights and Responsibilities - Finalized SR&R documents are now posted here. This handbook explains expectations for student behavior and adult responses to enhance school safety and to create a fair, equitable and supportive school environment.
Parent/Guardians please acknowledge receipt of the SR&R in your SIS ParentVue Account. If you are unable to do so, you can sign the Parent Signature Sheet to acknowledge that you have reviewed this document and return the signed signature sheet to school. These forms are past due, so please verify in your ParentVue account that you have completed this task to to save our office staff the time in following up with each family.Activating Your SIS ParentVUE Account
The SIS (Student Information System) ParentVUE Account is an online tool parents can use to access information about their child’s attendance, report cards, discipline incidents, health information, and more. In ParentVUE, you can also view student progress reports/report cards and SOL scores.
Your secure SIS ParentVUE Account offers you the ability to use one username/password to login to both the SIS ParentVUE Account and Schoology.
Using the SIS ParentVUE account, parents will also be able to view school information, including teacher e-mail addresses, the FCPS calendar, and emergency contact information. Visit the FCPS website and use the search function and keywords “SIS Parent Overview” for more information.
Many of our Stenwood families have already activated your SIS ParentVUE account with the activation key. If you are unable to login to your account, you may need to reset your password on the SIS Parent Account login page (https://sisparent.fcps.edu):
- Select the “Forgot Password” button.
- Your username is the primary email address you have on file with us in our Student Information System.
- More information is available here.
Newly enrolled families should have received an activation key for your account. If you have not yet activated your account, please reach out to Sonja Hunt (email@example.com ) or Brian Spector (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please take action now to ensure your account is active, so that you won’t miss a beat!Positivity Project: Teamwork
This week, we are focusing on Teamwork. You like exploration and discovery. You work well as a member of a group or team. You are loyal and sacrifice your individual desires for the greater good.
“Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.”
Questions you might enjoy talking about:
- How are citizenship and teamwork similar?
- Think about a time you were part of a successful team? How did that feel?
- Have you ever been a part of an unsuccessful team? How did THAT feel?
- What actions can you take to be a positive team member?
Interested in volunteering to be a class parent, volunteering in our cafeteria or library, OR just looking to stay connected with the great work of our PTA?
Please complete the Stenwood Classroom and PTA Form.
More information about the PTA is available on their website.Advanced Academics Parent Information Meetings
Here is the information from today’s Advanced Academics Overview and Curriculum meeting where you can learn about the levels of service and curriculum in grades K-6:
Consider joining the Stenwood administration and Advanced Academics Resource Teacher Kaleigh Hartman for our next meeting:
- Level IV Referral and Screening Process – Geared for parents of students in grades 2-6 interested in referring their child for Level IV services.
- Friday, September 24 at 9:00AM
The Stenwood Stingers YouTube Channel is a great resource for all your tech questions!School Meals and Free/Reduced Lunch Applications
Each student is eligible for one no-cost breakfast and one no-cost lunch each school day. Check out the FCPS school meals menus. If your student would like to purchase additional meals or a la carte items, they will need to pay. An additional meal is $4.50.
The best way to purchase items this year is to use MySchoolBucks. Set up your student’s MySchoolBucks account and help them memorize their pin. If you have questions about MySchoolBucks, our front office staff can help.
Free/Reduced Lunch Applications are available for those who qualify and wish to initiate or renew their applications for the 21-22 school year. While a school breakfast and lunch are provided at no cost this school year, your family may benefit from keeping your application up to date. The application is available HERE.Stuff the Bus: October 9th
On Saturday, October 9, Stuff the Bus will be collecting non-perishable food donations at 21 locations throughout Fairfax County and the City of Fairfax.
Help fight hunger and feed hope in our community by donating. For updates, including donation locations, most requested food items and more, visit http://bit.ly/FfxStufftheBus.Stay Connected
Here are a few ways to stay connected with all the happenings at Stenwood ES