2020 Summer Learning
Summer Learning Opportunities
This summer there will be multiple ways to stay engaged in learning!
1. Stenwood Summer Learning: Learn online with some of our amazing Stenwood teachers! Online learning will include 1-2 hours/week of synchronous time and run from June 30th - July 30th on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This is free and open to all Stenwood students, but we request that you fill out this form by Monday, June 15th if you are interested in participating to assist with our teachers’ planning. Specific grade level information was sent to parents through eNotify on Tuesday, June 9th and Wednesday, June 10th - make sure you enroll using the interest form above to continue getting communication related to summer learning!
- Summer learning is completely OPTIONAL.
- The purpose of summer learning is to support review and practice of the essential standards and skills that were designated by our FCPS curriculum specialists. These standards are reflected in the Essentials Summer Practice Books that the county has centrally developed.
- Instructional time with the teacher each week will align to the concepts in the Essentials Summer Practice Books. Instructional time will consist of a short review lesson of a language arts topic, a short review lesson of a mathematics topic, and a dedicated question and answer block where students may seek clarification for content in the lesson and/or the Essentials Summer Practice Books.
- Summer Learning does not teach new content or preview next year’s material.
- Summer Learning does not include additional assignments beyond the Essentials Summer Practice Books.
- Interested families should enroll their child in the grade level session for their child’s current grade this school year (2019-2020).
This opportunity will best serve students who could benefit with additional practice and repetition of grade level content. All are welcome, but please understand that our instructional focus will remain on the support of these essential standards.
2. Math and Language Arts Essentials Summer Practice Books: FCPS will be mailing review work books out to families by the end of June. Every student who is not opted out will receive two Essentials Summer Practice books: one for reading and one for math. The Practice Books are not intended to teach new content; it is a review of key content from the 2019-2020 school year. They will also be posted on FCPS 24/7 Learning Blackboard (Continuity of Learning Resources page- ES) as fillable PDF files on June 29th. If you would like to opt back in to receiving these, you will need to do so before June 10th, using this link.
3. Live Read Alouds with Mr. Fenton: Mr. Fenton, our IT specialist, likes to read with our Stenwood Stingers and would like to continue reading over the summer. Listen to exciting books about Llamas destroying the world, stories from Sideways School, Wizards of Once, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, and many more!
Sessions will be held twice per week: Tuesdays @ 11am (K-3) and Wednesdays @ 11am (4-6). He (and some special guests!) will read a variety of books. Your student can listen and join discussion in one or both sessions which will include students from both schools he supports: Freedom Hill and Stenwood. The sessions begin June 15th and 16th.
i Ready Help
Your child will have access to their grade level teacher and the specialists (Band, Music, Art, AAP, Library, etc) through August 14. If you're child enrolled at Stenwood after June 15, they will be added to the appropriate Google Classroom within a few days.
This is the link to access Google Classroom. Below you will find more information to help you navigate Google Classroom
Stingers are Readers
Stenwood Summer Reading!
We want all of our Stenwood Stingers to READ, READ, READ! To help us find new books to read, we invite all of our Stingers to share book recommendations on our Summer Reading Flipgrids. After reading a book this summer, click on one of the links below, record a short Book Recommendation, including the title, author, and why you would recommend the book. Check the Filpgrid often to see what books your friends and teachers are recommending:
(For students who have completed Kindergarten through 2nd Grade)
(For students who have completed 3rd-6th Grade)
NOTE: Flipgrid is a digital resource that requires signed parental permission. If you have NOT turned in your digital permission form, you may NOT use the Flipgrids.
Fall Battle of the Books
Rising 5th and 6th graders, the fall 2020 Battle of the Books list is here! Start your reading! Check out books from the public library or check out the e-book! This link takes you to the school catalog, then click on Mackin Via app or search the catalog for the ebook.
The Ethan I Was Before / Forget Me Not / The Mad Wolf’s Daughter / Refugee / The Season of Styx Malone / Small Spaces / This Was Our Pact / Three Times Lucky / Treasure Hunters (Book #1) / Wishtree